Thursday, April 01, 2010

Hospital Revisited

It seems that my body has decided that our "rest period" is over. The last few weeks has been an array of doctor visits. Who knew there were so many "ologists" in the medical field? Nephrologist, Endocrinologist, Urologist, Neurologist...I've been back to the hospital so many times that I've reestablished my first name basis with a lot of the hospital staff. Kinda sad/funny when the parking valet, security guard and Artie, the custodial guy in Radiology remembers me. I'd like to believe it's because I'm so unforgettable but it's more likely because I'm the girl in the wheelchair making "vroom vroom" noises as I race across the parking lot or slide over the hospital floors. Been caught a few times dancing in my wheelchair by other staff members. What can I say? I'm easily amused.

Unfortunately, these visits to the hospital also means blood draws. Lots and LOTS of blood draws. Every day this week and some last week. Not one or two vials, more like eight, nine or ten - and the big vials (gold tops, in lab lingo) followed by other personal fluids. Yuck. I have very small veins that like to duck and roll. Some of the lab techs have figured out that sneaking up on the side of the vein instead of the normal "missionary" style works best. But with all the blood draws, my veins have given out. I started giggling when the lab tech stuck my left arm, had a blood flash return, then nothing. Stopped giggling when he had to stick me a second time. I was passed off to three techs before the final one got lucky and hit the top of my forearm. By the way, not my favorite place for a needle. Stings. I officially have no more places to stick on either arm. It's break time for a few days. My vein agreed when it trickled and then stopped giving blood at the 8th vial. It simply stopped; no amount of pushing in the needle and spinning it around (always so much fun for me!)would make it give out more. I had to tell the tech that I'd had enough and it was time to stop.

But the best part? I'm getting ready to go back to Europe with my Niece. We'll only be away for a few weeks (thanks to Missy R for taking care of my house) and I'm so excited. Springtime in Paris. Seeing the tulips of Amsterdam in full bloom. Having a warm beer in Brugges. Floating along the fjords of Norway. The mountains of Switzerland. Cheeses, wonderful cheeses from all these places. Can't wait.

Later this summer, off for an Alaskan cruise with my clan. THAT should be a whole lot of fun...

So instead of a lollipop or a colorful bandaid, I'm getting a trip to Europe as my prize for being a good girl and not crying. Seems like a fair trade to me. More later before I leave. Happy Easter!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home