Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nothing exciting to report

Besides blogging, I also have one other (or as a former boss repeatedly told me, "It is AN OTHER, Scooter Girl. You Americans do not speak proper English." It was always my secret wet dream to tell him sweetly, "Bite me, Frenchy" but I never did because I didn't have the cajones back then) internet social site. Sometimes on this site I'll do a brief "thought" to share with my online friends.

Yesterday, I commented on how I wanted to retrieve some files from the garage. Took a lot of mental preparation and visualization before I even attempted to leave the safety of my wheelchair. It is less than twenty feet from the house to the garage and to my files but it might as well be twenty miles for me. If it were pre-accident me, I could have finished the task in less than five minutes. For post-accident me, it took a good forty-five minutes from start to finish.

I didn't do anything that would have harmed me, unless I fell or dropped something on my foot. I was careful and slower than slow. I carried two different phones; one tucked away in my bra, one in my pocket. It hurt to walk and I had to stop for a few breaks which is why it took so long. I found the files and was able to get back to my wheelchair.

Of course, I had to lay down and elevate my foot for three hours. I had no strength left by the time I made it to bed. I did it, though. It felt really, really good to know that I could do something for myself.

After that little adventure, I had such a feeling of accomplishment. Kind of like when I wiped my ass for the first time after months of having my parents clean me up, post surgery. It's the little things in life that make it sweet, right? Savor the moment, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home